10.19.2010

7lbs. and almost 3oz.

Reese's First Visit to the Pediatrician



When Reese was born, she weighed in at 7lbs, 10oz. and by the time that we left the hospital to head home she had lost about 10% of her body weight; she was down to 6lbs, 13oz. The doctor said that this is normal, but didn't want her to continue losing weight, so he recommended that we supplement with formula. So, for the past two days I have been nursing and then offering her formula. Today we went to the doctor to weigh in and hopefully hear good news that Reese is gaining weight. She weighed 7lbs and almost 3 oz.! We were so excited! It's funny to me what things I get excited about now that I'm a new mom. Wet and poopy diapers are now one of the most exciting things, because it tells me that she's getting what she needs.

Reese was very good at the doctor. She didn't even cry while Dr. Harris was examining her. There is a mirror right next to the exam table and Reese was fascinated with looking at herself. She is just all smiles.

Funny side story from today...
As we were dressing Reese and getting her in her car seat, it wasn't 2 seconds before I had her buckled in that she pooped all over herself. I have babysat kids before (even infants), but I've never had my own. It must have just escaped my mind that infants are constantly going to the bathroom and needing changing, because this I was not prepared for today! I rushed to get her out of her car seat and clean her up and then she started to pee all over the exam table. I had to laugh because this was our first time out of the house (and of course I dressed her in her cutest outfit) and now I am caught with a dirty child, dirty diapers, and no change of clothes in my diaper bag! Thank goodness that I was more concerned with filling Justin's "Diaper Dude" diaper bag than my own or we would have been up a creek! Justin had a change of clothes, diapers, wipes, blankets, etc. ready to go and I had none of this in my diaper bag. This has taught me a valuable lesson about being prepared for anything. Overall, Reese had a wonderful first doctor's appointment and is gaining weight like she should.

It's just crazy to me how many things change once you become a new mom or dad. You don't even think about a lot of things, until you are caught without something you need or faced with a new challenge. Thankfully there's a lot of room for trial and error...and I have a lot of amazing friends who are ready to help in any way that they can. Most of all, I love being a new mom and can't wait to see what new challenges and adventures lie ahead.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

yay! so glad she's healthy and gaining!!! it is funny the things a mom gets excited about. def. not what it used to be.
that story is so typical, i think i probably had the same thing happen once or twice with will. this time i seem to be even less prepared, you would think i would have learned.
glad you packed the diaper dude bag so well!